Friday, July 26, 2013

Tarty’s weekly bargains


I have never been as broke-ass as I have been for the past few months. And while things will get better (forever the optimist) I have been forced to find ways of keeping myself and my menagerie well-fed and happy despite nervous glances through the window whenever someone comes to my door in case it’s they are coming to cut off the electricity (I got a scary letter last week). Although according to my neighbor, they tend to chop off the water first to force you to pay your electricity bill. If you see a showercap sticking out of my laptop bag at work you’ll know that the water has been cut…

Jokes aside (actually that wasn’t a joke, but we’ll pretend) I have become one of those people that scans the papers for bargains in the grocery and booze department. I do this every week. I even go as far as to cut parts of said newspaper out so I remember, or make a list of where to go for what. I kid you not. I have become a pensioner before my time dammit!  The interesting thing though is that seemingly I am not alone (how did the neighbour know that the water goes before the electricity gets snipped?) and when I casually mentioned my latest finds at dinner last night with The Hout Bay Hippies, everyone gasped, put down their forks and went “Wow! That’s SUCH a bargain! I am going to do that too.”  With their mouths full of food. The bargains were THAT good.

Now I am a fairly resourceful lass and becoming increasingly so. So I figure I need to share the love with my hapless followers (half of whom are probably as broke as me, but are too proud to say it) and … one day the very people whose bargains I am sharing will probably contact me for advertising on this very blog. Clever huh? I may even get a free butternut thrown in.

So here are this week’s top bargains:

Fruit & Veg City bargain (valid until Sunday 28 July)

Fruit combo: R39

1 x pineapple
1x paw paw
1 x orange thriftpack
1 x banana thriftpack
1 x punnet strawberries
2 x kiwi fruit

Freshstop at Caltex bargain (valid until Sunday 28 July)

Veggie combo : R50

1 x 2kg potatoes
1 x 1kg gem squash
1 x 1kg butternut
1 x 1kg onions
1 x sweet potato thriftpack
1 x cauliflower

Booze bargains at Ultra Liquors (valid until Sunday 28 July)

Olmeca Black R129.99
Amstel Lager and Windhoek Lager (2 x 24) R299.99

Run, run to the shops people! For R100 my fridge has never looked better. The only problem is that I now have to remove 3 gem squash, 2 butternuts and 10 potatoes to get to my Savannas…  which I get from the office bar in lieu of my non-existent increase.

While you do that, I am running to the post office to pay my electricity bill. God forbid they cut me off when my fridge is full of food and stolen booze.

No comments:

Post a Comment