Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Music awards and corset fails

The weekend has been and gone and I still haven't blogged about it. And now it is almost the next weekend. But then again I still haven't done my "man list" either which is months outstanding. I should probably do this list before Ramfest lest I make some bad choices, but I can always go into drunk denial.

So this is how it went down... 

Friday:
  • Free drinks at work
    Free drinks are not to be scoffed at. This is an event I just cannot miss. Although I really, really should.

  • Drinks at Banana Jam
    Nice place with pleasant company. I was having a great time, but apparently I got out of hand, literally. Brainy Friend told me on Monday that I constantly want to touch him when we go out and I get drunk. I am not sure if prodding someone in the ribs to get my point across is considered flirting and it makes him nervous, but so be it. I am a touchy-feely person. And a notorious flirt. But I have made a note to sit on my hands next time. Which means I will have to drink my Savanna with a straw. Which means I will get more drunk and no doubt more out of "hand".

  • Birthday bash at Decodance
    I was somewhat sceptical about this one as it was almost 1am when I got there and it's a long drive these days since Deco moved to Sea Point. But if I say I will be somewhere, I generally pitch up. Even if it's late (another thing I got into trouble for on the weekend). Needless to say the birthday girl was tickets by the time I got there and fluctuated between being wild and being morose. She spent a lot of time fighting with an ex, who she ended up going home with. I spent a lot of time on the dance floor and went home alone.

Saturday:

  • Design Indaba Expo
    Mom Friend picked me up at 10am and was functioning worse than me. She had quaffed two glasses of wine the night before and wasn't coping well (she's become a lightweight - babies do that to you) and I had quaffed a lot more and had four hours sleep. We made a fine pair, but I still say I was a lot more with it. Design Indaba was great though. Very inspiring and I made some useful contacts for all those things I should be doing instead of going out until the wee hours. Scoffing a pie and knocking back champagne for breakfast was also one of the highlights.

  • MK Music Awards
    I won tickets to this illustrious event and the fact that I can't speak a word of or understand Afrikaans was beside the point. My first ever music awards show! So I took the time to dress up nicely and fetched my Dancing Partner, the Party Partner and his friend. Getting ready for such a rockstar event takes time and the invite said 8pm. So I figured you arrived around 8pm, swanned around looking fabulous whilst pinching rockstar's bums and drinking champagne. Not. Unbeknown to me, the awards were being shown live on telly and started at 8pm on the dot. So we got to the awards late and the lads were fuming. I got to sit next to a girl who screamed at every Afrikaans rockstar that was nominated and gave me strange looks when I asked who the band was. But the organisation was perfect, the lighting fantastic and the performances rock solid. Afrikaans rock solid. My all time favourite, Jack Parow was there too. Looking quite respectable in a suit (but his underwear was still sticking out, I saw it). Prime Circle, Zebra & Giraffe and Van Coke Cartel are some of my faves so I also got to scream with the girl sitting next to me. Die Heuwels Fantasties (don't ask me to pronounce it) ran off with most of the awards (and a car) and Corne and Twakkie entertained the crowds dressed in leathers. The best part was watching one of the "award presenters" in a ridiculous but fabulous white outfit smack her antlers on the exit door, fall backwards and then get pushed through the door by the people behind her. She looked like a drunk rabbit being pushed down a rabbit hole.

  • Fetish Night at Decodance
    After the awards, Party Partner and Party Partner Pal (OK, am not feeling too creative right now) went to search for women and beer at the Assembly after-party while Dancing Partner and myself took ourselves off to Decodance. I was looking forward to all the men in leather, but there was not one to be seen. Oh the disappointment. Not even Corne and Twakkie were there. It was also heaving with people - they say since they've moved their takings have tripled. I am not suprised. I almost emptied it out though. Wild dancing and corsets do not go together it turns out. My corset came adrift and if I hadn't caught it in time I reckon there would have been a stampede for the exit. The best part was getting Dancing Partner to try do it up again. At one stage I thought she would actually pull all the ribboning out and then the rest of the night would have been a topless affair. There were many offers from men to "fix the problem", but luckily a girl came forward who clearly knew what she was doing. She grabbed the ribboning, gave three tugs, asked if I could breath, tied a knot and walked off. "Some people make things look so easy" said a corset-ribbon-baffled Dancing Partner. It made sense later though when she fell over on the dance floor after too many tequila's.

Sunday:

  • Monster braai
    Ah, a nice quiet day spent recovering in bed followed by a nice quiet afternoon braai with Monster from the Blog. I should have known better. I rocked home at 1am after getting through large amounts of wine, savanna and White Russians. Somewhere inbetween I remember having some chicken sausage and a potato.


Tomorrow it's Ramfest with Monster from the Blog, a media pass and (thanks to new tyres) no money. I intend on running around with a Tequila Tart Party Fund tin. If I got R1 from each person I could be at least R5 000 richer. Failing that, I will just scare the the EMO kids into giving me their money, their food and their booze. Will let you know how it goes...

Ps .. Take on my good friend's 11 Words for 2011 challenge. Go to Simmelman to check it out. It's a great idea - I will be attempting this at Ramfest after a few tequila's and compare it with my sober ones. If any are the same, I know I am on the right track.


Lots of pretty little boxes.

Zebra & Giraffe making an entrance.

Prime Circle

Prime Circle with fireworks.

Van Coke Kartel going up in flames.
Corne and Twakkie thought they were going to Decodance.
The multi-award-winning Die Heuwels Fantasties

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing your lists - at Ramfest and after, as well as Man list (which will probably be much shorter!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. bring your tin to the mercury shooter bar! there is tequila with my and your name on it :) can't wait for ramfest!

    ReplyDelete