Thursday, October 20, 2011

Diary of a Daisies virgin : Day three...


Sunday Bloody (hot) Sunday

06h50: There's a nasty little tune coming out of the Blackberry. The alarm. OMG, the alarm. Rugby on in 10 minutes. Feel like I only went to bed an hour ago.
07h15: Discover a spider bites on my hips. No sign of spider. Arrrgh, probably swallowed it.
07h25: With scratchy eyes, itching hips and stale tequila breath I head to main stage with Barmy BernieMadcap Menno is still passed out. Wish I was.
07h40: The main stage area is the fullest I have ever seen it for the entire festival. South Africans are clearly serious about rugby!
07h45: I need tea!
07h55: I am in heaven. Found Lady Bonin's Tea Caravan and tea. BB has found coffee and we are starting to cope.
08h20: R15 for a Castle Lager and a free lamb roll is the reason we got out of bed. Had nothing to do with rugby.
08h25: A nice young man lets me win a Springbok scarf.
08h30: Things are infinitely better, we have beer and lamb-full tummies. It's going to be a good day.
08h50: Things have taken a turn for the worse. We lose the rugby. The Boks are coming home and I fear it has something to do with me winning the scarf.
09h15: Back at camp after joining mass miserable exodus. Time to start packing up. It's already getting too hot for this.
09h45: First load to the car. It's as hot as hell in there and I am pleasantly suprised to see that the champagne hasn't exploded. Yet. Consider drinking it just in case. I hate waste.
10h45: Being single is not for sissies. This car trekking is killing me. Decide I seriously need a butler that I can bring to festivals as a porter.
11h30: At last! Car is all packed up. My arms are hurting, my feet and hips are itching and my shoulders have taken on an ominous red shade. I need to have a swim.
11h45: Pop into The Daisy Den and get given a free pair of polka dot flip flops with my Brutal Fruit. Whoot! Rewards for drinking twice already today.
11h55: Flop down onto a couch and scoff free Fizzers and lollipops whilst flipping idly through a Glamour magazine. Am starting to like this Daisy Den place.
12h30: Head to the dam for a last swim. Am eternally grateful that I found my Disney spritzer. If I didn't have it I would self-combust.
13h15: Legs turning pink, time to get out of the sun and see what's happening at the main stage.
13h30: Just Jinjer may have had their ups and downs and Art may be sporting a double chin instead of dreads, but they still rock it. Awesome memory lane stuff. Make a note to haul out their CD when I get home.
14h45: Time to head home. Enough is enough. Start praying that SupaFly makes it on the dirt road in the heat. I have seen many towtrucks in action.
16h05: Home! We made it! No towtruck vultures for us! Fall on my bed in a tattered, exhausted heap for a nap.
18h00: The bath water is so brown I wonder whether I have washed off my tan.
19h45: Vegetables! I love vegetables.
21h00: Sheets, I love sheets! The mattress has never felt so good.
21h10: Fall asleep with my dog in my arms and a smile on my face. What an awesome weekend. Viva the beginning of festival season!


Why Rocking the Daisies rocks
  • It is probably the most organised festival I have ever been to. The bands even ran pretty much to schedule.
  • You get your drinks fast at the bar. Seemingly the barmen are not only hired for their good looks.
  • These guys are serious about recycling and not damaging the flora and fauna. In my books, that ranks them as one of the top festivals.
  • Potato and coriander samoosa's people. At a festival. I love these guys!
  • The Daisy Den is not for woosies. It's for women everywhere and I intend to live in there next year. I may even get my nails done.
  • It's so much fun even the geese pitch up.

My only gripe would be that perhaps it is a little too big (I prefer smaller festivals) and they try cram too many acts in on too many stages. I missed out on some good bands and acts because I couldn't be in three places at once. It was also quite far to the main arena from the camping site and in the heat that is no joke. But that is just me being lazy. Am bringing my butler/porter next time.

Awesome job guys! You should be proud. See you next year!

A tranquil start to the day at 7am.

That's a lot of rugby fans early in the morning!

Lady Bonin - keeping tea-lovers happy.

Just Jinjer (like his guitar strap says).

No comments:

Post a Comment