Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Awesome people I know : The Weekend Wizzard

And that's "normal weekend fare"!

Some time ago I thought it might be a cool idea to highlight some of the wonderful friends I have. I could highlight each and every one of them as they all rock in their own way. Without them I would be nothing. I would probably also starve, not have anyone to confide in, not get to laugh as much, and lately, not get to go anywhere. But there are a few who I think I should tell you about. Promote, if you will. Because these guys are either working hard to achieve their dreams, have inspired me to achieve mine, hard workers who never complain, have risen above the odds to do amazing things, or are simply making our society a better place (and we all need more of those!)

First up we have The Weekend Wizzard. Who is actually none other than Mom Friend's other half. Between them they have a small curly-haired cherub of a daughter who is being groomed to be the next master-chef (or a really good wife with great dish washing and skills). Luckily for me, The Weekend Wizzard and family live down the road. Literally a 10 minute walk - which is even more fantastic right now as I am car-less. I am the most blessed person on the planet with this situation as not only can Mom Friend and I sit and yak for hours on end (whilst being interrupted intermittently by offers of tea in fairy-sized teacups by The Cherub), The Weekend Wizzard is a bloody amazing cook.

I have had the honour of scoffing the most delightful meals pretty much once a week for months now. And I am not talking toast and marmite folks, I am talking falafels with tzatziki, the best home-made pizzas (made from scratch, including the base), home-baked breads, not to mention tasty curries and braais where there were wonderfully innovative ideas instead of the usual dop n' chop. Ok, I have yet to try the Lamb fillet flambéed in tequila, but perhaps that's because I may polish off the tequila before he can cook with it. He has also promised to show me how to make pies using a muffin tray which will be most useful for my love of holding parties (and my love of pies).

The Weekend Wizzard isn't a chef by trade, but he should be. His love of cooking and coming up with recipes is evident in everything he does in the kitchen. They say you should cook with love and that's exactly what he does. He doesn't have the time or money to attend fancy cheffing courses or enter Master Chef, so he does the best he can with what he's got. Passion for food and cooking is a great start and I always maintain that anything you do with passion will be a success. Over time I have watched The Weekend Wizard expand his cooking repertoire and even start growing his own vegetables. I have had to listen to him passionately warble on about the different types of tomatoes (small price to pay).

Nowadays you can find him blogging for TASTE magazine. Yes, that fancy much-loved-by-foodies mag from the Woolworths crowd. That is no mean feat and worth a great big applause. And, TASTE are so damn impressed with him, they are now sponsoring ingredients for him to come up with recipes. But wait, there's more. The Weekend Wizzard entered into a competition for Pasella, involving film crews, much rushing around to set up venue for filming and lots of boerewors and dough. He was chosen as a finalist and tonight he will be on TV! Standing bloody ovation please...

The Weekend Wizzard is starting to live the dream and if that isn't bloody inspirational to those of us who are constantly trying to live the dream, then I don't know what is. Cynics be gone... he is proof that if you want something badly enough and follow it up with hard work and passion - it'll be yours for the taking. So here's to you my friend ... onwards and upwards. Tis the year ...

So, watch The Weekend Wizard on Pasella on SABC2 at 7.30pm tonight. He may only be on for 10 minutes, but a whole lot better than the 5 seconds most of us get in life. Watch him make his now-famous and supremely delicious Baked boerie rolls (which I was lucky enough to be treated to this weekend). Then go vote for him. He deserves to win (from sheer determination alone, besides the fact that he is an excellent cook).

I will definitely be watching... from the comfort of their couch scoffing (no doubt yummy) home-made burgers, yakking to Mom Friend and getting tea from The Cherub. Ah yes, I choose my friends well...

ps... It doesn't end there. He's been chatting to Justin Bonello (and Justin doesn't just chat to anyone) and there's a lot of work being done on a recipe book that where proceeds will go to charity. Watch this space!

1 comment: